Shout out: Congrats to 32 students (Grades 6, 7 & 8) who participated in the Regional Destination Imagination Competition this past weekend in Stoughton. We were proud to have 5 teams participate and that one team placed 3rd overall in the Engineering category and one team placed 3rd overall in the Fine Arts category. Congrats to you all! A special thanks to Ms. Peters, Ms. Stokes, Ms. Rodriguez and Ms. Cronin for leading this work at the Curley K-8!
The Lion King: Please join us this week for our student performance of The Lion King! Our students and staff have been preparing for months and we are thrilled to welcome families to our performances. All students will attend one of the daytime shows over the course of the week as well.
• March 21st and 22nd at 9 a.m. Curley Auditorium
• March 21st at 1 p.m. Curley Auditorium
• March 23rd and 24th at 6:30 p.m. Curley Auditorium
There will be a special performance at the Shubert Theatre in downtown Boston on Thursday, April 6th. Doors open at 5 pm & Show starts at 5:30.
Volunteers needed for Lion King: Several more parent volunteers are needed to help make the Lion King performances as good as they can be! The following volunteer roles need to be filled for the three daytime shows – March 21 at 9am and 1pm and March 22 at 9am and the two evening shows, March 23 and 24 at 6:30pm:
• One set crew member
• One or two ushers to help greet and seat people
• One person to assist middle school students operating lighting
•A male parent/guardian who can supervise boys changing into costume before the shows (this volunteer could also take on one of the tasks above).
In addition, we’re looking for a parent who can videotape at least one show, and a parent who can take photographs for at least one show.
If you can take on any of these roles for any show, let us know! Please email both Kim Taylor-Knight at email@example.com and Ben Carlson at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm. Come enjoy being part of the show!
10th Annual Curley K-8 Auction: Our biggest fundraiser of the year is almost here! The 10th Annual Silent Auction is only 2 weeks away! The live event will be on Tuesday, March 28th from 6 to 9pm at Canary Square in Jamaica Plain, but you don’t have to wait!
• Simply log on to see our offerings, and place some bids! It’s a great way to be part of the event, even if you can’t be there on the 28th. Please forward to family and friends everywhere.
• Want to come to the event but have no baby-sitter? The Acting Director of CASP, Ms. Mercado and her Staff are offering a fun night of activities for kid-sitting (ages 4+) from 5:30-9:30 on the night of the event at a low cost of $5 per child/per hour. A dinner is included to be served at 6 p.m. (dinner: cheese pizza, baby carrots, cherry tomatoes & water) Ms. Mercado at: Emercado@bostonpublicschools.org to reserve a spot. Please RSVP by Fri. 3/24. Bring your kids to the upper school CASP entrance on the left side of the building (near the field).
• Looking for another way to show your support? Grab dinner or drinks at Canary Square from now until the night of the event, the restaurant invites patrons to add a donation to their check. It’s a quick, easy way to show that you care about the Curley. If you have any questions, donations, ideas or would like to get involved, please contact the event Co-chairs, Ann Chinchilla DeGeorge: email@example.com or Eyleen Iroala: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Library and Technology Committee: The Curley K-8 Library will reopen next fall, with a full-time paraprofessional staff person! Thank you again to the Curley community for the successful fundraising drive, we are more than halfway to our goal of $70,000. Our next committee meeting is Saturday, April 8 at 8:30 am at the school (Centre Street entrance) to discuss our next round of fundraising and grant writing. We are assembling teams for specific projects in the library, and anyone interested in joining a crew, can email Pam Yosca at email@example.com and indicate if you are available to work on a regular basis (you will receive training) to organize/catalog books; or, if you would like to work an afternoon here or there painting, assembling furniture, and other miscellaneous tasks. Visit http://www.curleyk8.com/library/ for more information.
SPC: Please join us for the March SPC meeting on Wednesday, March 22nd from 6pm-8pm in the Lower School Cafeteria. At this meeting we will be discussing Excellence for All. As always, childcare, food and translation are provided.
MCAS: The MCAS testing will begin on Tuesday, April 4th and go through the end of May. This is a long window, which helps us ensure that students aren’t testing on back-to-back days. We want to spread out the testing to reduce any anxiety. Click the link to access our testing calendar by grade level and subject area:
Hiring: We have had 10 teacher jobs posted on www.teachboston.org. We are looking for families to help us and participate in the interview process. Having family voice at the table is very important for hiring and we value your opinions. No previous hiring or interview experience is necessary. We will be hosting interviews on the following days from 3pm-6pm. If you can assist us we can have your child(ren) of school age attend CASP. Please email Katie Grassa firstname.lastname@example.org if you can participate, this will be first come, first serve. Thanks!
ELT: Our school hours for next year will be 8:30am-3:10pm. We will continue to offer a before and after school program here as well.