“Enough, No More! Please Restore Our Funding”
No one knows as much about our school as the people who teach and learn there every day. A new video starring students, parents, teachers, and staff, is below. It was created by three very talented Curley parents. In this video they talk in their own words about why they love the Curley, and what kind of impact the budget cuts have already had on our school.
They’re asking Superintendent Johnson, the School Committee, the Mayor, and our elected officials to reverse this year’s proposed cuts and to restore our funding.
The video is the creation of Curley parents Kelly Lawman, Dave Demerjian and Rebecca Nieto. A big thanks to all three of them, and a big hand too to all the students, teachers, staff and parents who took part.
Budget cuts are coming. Let’s try to stop them.
For the academic year 2012-13 the Boston School Committee has delivered a budget to our school that is 12% lower than what it was when our enrollment jumped by 16% this past fall. The resulting cuts to our staff will be devastating for our children.
Let’s try to stop it.
Parents, teachers and staff are planning to lobby the Boston School Committee to stop cutting our budget. We need your help to succeed.
For more information, please contact the following:
- Parent Heshan Weeramuni, 617-417-5574, email@example.com
- SPC Co-chair Carrie Fletcher, 617-331-8373, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Community Family Coordinator Betty Villalba-Alvarado, 617-304-6771, email@example.com
- Curley K8 Guidance Councilor Susan Trotz, 617-719-5236, firstname.lastname@example.org
Can’t attend the meeting but you still want to be involved? Contact Lindsey Weeramuni above for ways to help.
COMUNIDAD DE LA CURLEY K8:
presupuesto para el próximo año será cortado …
El Comité Escolar de las escuelas Públicas de Boston ha entregado el presupuesto a nuestra escuela el cual es menor del 12% de cuando la registración aumentó a un 16% el pasado otoňo. Como resultado, la reducción de nuestro personal será desvastador para la educación de nuestros hijos.
Vamos a tratar de detenerlo.
Los padres, maestros y el personal quiere presionar al Comité Escolar de Boston para que paren los recortes de nuestro presupuesto. Necesitamos tu ayuda para tener éxito.
Para obtener más información, póngase en contacto con los siguientes personas:
- Heshan Weeramuni, 617-417-5574, email@example.com
- SPC Co-chair – Carrie Fletcher, 617-331-8373, carrie.fletcher @ gmail.com
- Coordinador de Padres – Betty Villalba-Alvarado, 617-304-6771, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Curley K8 Consejera Escolar – Susan Trotz, 617-719-5236, Strotz @ boston.k12.ma.us
Si no puede asistir a la reunión, pero aún quiere participar? Por favor pongase en contacto con Lindsey Weeramuni y cómo Ud. puede ayudar.
Our Statements To The Boston School Committee
Parents have delivered statements to the Boston School Committee at every one of its meetings so far this year. At the February 15th meeting, we were joined by City Councilor Matt O’Malley.
Links to reports of each of the meetings, including copies of the statements and video of the meetings, are below:
- Three Curley SPC BPS-wide funding proposals presented to the School Committee and City Councilors
- After School Committee Vote, Focus Turns to City Council (forthcoming)
- March 28th Boston School Committee Meeting (forthcoming)
- Open letter by parent Lindsey Weeramuni about our budget struggles
- March 21th Boston School Committee Meeting
- March 12th Boston School Committee Meeting
- March 7th Boston School Committee Meeting and Meeting with BPS CFO
- February 28th Boston School Committee Meeting
- February 15th Boston School Committee Meeting
- February 1st Boston School Committee Meeting
- January 18th Boston School Committee Meeting
If you would like to speak at a future school committee meeting or have other questions, contact Heshan Weeramuni.
First, watch and then email the above video by clicking on the bright orange button. The pre-formatted email will be sent to the School Committee and our elected representatives.
Second, read the outreach packet below. It contains a telephone script and a sample letter for you to send to the Boston Public School Committee. Also below is a list of contact information for the Committee members and Boston’s elected representatives.
- Outreach Packet for calls, emails and letters (English and Spanish)
- Contact Information for Mayor, City Councillors, BPS Officials and School Committee
Thank you for your support.